If you’re unable to read written information properly, you'll have trouble understanding the regular curriculum. That's why ROC West-Brabant and Games Factory Online called upon Ranj to develop a second game to improve its educational offerings.
On the road as reporters
Embargo is a multi-user game that motivates and challenges students to practice reading comprehensively. Multiple players simultaneously take on missions in an online game environment. They see each other and can talk to each other. Goal: improving their Dutch language level, with the focus on reading comprehensively.
In the game, players take on the role of reporters. Together they are sent out to report on events in the game world. The players search out information from different sources, which have to comply with certain demands made by the editor. Various skills are tested, by looking for and filtering information.
Ranj worked closely with experts in the field of strategies for reading comprehensively. Every mission is written on a different level, according to the Raamwerk Nederlands ('Dutch framework '). Specific skills are practiced and tested in every mission.
- Education in the Dutch language on the levels 1F, 2D and 3F.
- Three large missions with unique storylines.
- Chat function that stimulates communication within the team.
- Possibility for the teacher to direct and control play sessions.
- Online play, both within and outside contact hours.
- Lesson briefs as guidance for teachers.
ROC West Brabant, Games Factory Online