Managing procurement effectively is a challenging task. Among other things, it's about forging close partnerships with suppliers, encouraging production improvements and minimizing risks.
To increase understanding in all these aspects, Ranj has developed a game in co-operation with Berenschot. The goal: instilling procurement managers with the responsibility and awareness of the influence of their part in the total company results. With Pie Supply, professionals experience what the effect of their work is.
Apple pie bakery
In Pie Supply, players are procurement managers at an apple pie bakery. As family member that has recently married into the clan, they have to take care of procurement in the family business. They are challenged to optimize procurement for the factory at the strategic and tactical level .
During the game, sudden events expose weaknesses in the chain, such as changes in the selling market. Players can experiment with strategies in rounds, and after each round they can analyse the results based on a report. If they do badly, they risk being kicked out of the family!
Pie Supply raises understanding in the following important aspects of procurement:
- The influence of chain thinking on company results.
- The value of investing in the relationship with suppliers.
- Recognizing risks and opportunities in the procurement process.
- The importance of research within the chain of suppliers, company and selling market.
- Innovation opportunities with strategic goods within the chain.